Student Appeal Procedure
The UBC Engineering Co-op Program (the Program) has a responsibility to provide fair and equitable procedures for the lodging and hearing of student complaints or concerns arising from Program regulations, policies and actions. Students who wish to contest a resolution can do so by following the three sequential steps of the UBC Engineering Co-op Student Appeal Procedure.
1) Students who are not satisfied with a decision pertaining to the Program should initially attempt to resolve their concerns informally by requesting a meeting with a Coordinator.
- To book a meeting with a Coordinator, use the Appointments tab in PD Portal and find a time that is convenient for you.
- Please enter a few notes about the appeal in the “additional information” section of the appointment booking to help the Coordinator prepare for the meeting.
2) If a student is not satisfied with the decision from their Coordinator, the student may appeal the decision to the Senior Manager, Student Experience.
- Prior to this meeting, the student will have to re-connect with a Coordinator to go over the next steps and documentation required, including an appeal letter and any other written documentation. The student’s appeal letter should reference the terms and conditions / program policy they are appealing against and reasons why.
- The Coordinator who provided the initial decision will also have to provide a memo to the Senior Manager, Student Experience outlining the situation, the policy/terms and conditions the student is appealing against, the reason they made a decision on this and any recommendations
- Upon the receipt of a formal appeal letter from a student and Coordinator, an appeal meeting will then be booked with the Senior Manager, Student Experience. One day a month will be committed to reviewing appeals.
- The Senior Manager, Student Experience shall communicate her decision in writing to the student and the Coordinator within a reasonable time frame.
3) If the student is not satisfied with the decision by the Senior Manager, the student may appeal to the Associate Dean, Education & Professional Development, by submitting a meeting request to the Senior Manager, Student Experience. The Senior Manager, Student Experience will arrange a convenient time for the Associate Dean, the appellant and herself. The Associate Dean shall communicate the final decision of the appeal process in writing to the student, Coordinator and Senior Manager, Student Experience within a reasonable time frame.